Valve Cover Gasket Replacement on XJ 4.0l

1: Gather your tools. You will need a 11m Socket/Wrench, Ratchet, VC Gasket. You may need a screwdriver, small hammer.
    Optional: Paint, Masking Tape, Newspaper, 1/4" socket.

2: Begin removing your VC bolts, there are many along the perimeter. The rear bolt is a PITA.

3: Remove the VC, I had to tilt mine to the left to get it out of there. You may need to use a screwdriver to carefully pry up on the front of the VC, a more "violent" method is to smack the side of the VC with a hammer.

4: This is a good time to clean the inside of the VC, I used brake cleaner (almost a whole can) and a rag to clean it. It is also a good time to remove the CCV orifices and clean them. Mine where full of sludge. (Requires 1/4" socket)

5: If you are not painting, skip to step 11.

6: Degrease outside of VC. I used brake cleaner again. Wipe down with a rag.

7: Wash VC with hot soap and water, dish soap is good because it is made to break down oils.

8: Rinse.

9: Mask off the areas you do not want paint on, CCV orifices, oil fill hole, etc.

10: Begin painting. I used High temp black paint, Use whatever you want but remember that it will get pretty hot (2-300*) I recommend Lots of coats. Allow to dry.

11: Begin installing the gasket, the instructions that came with my Felpro gasket recommended supergluing it to the VC in a few spots. I used "Form a Gasket 2" in a small bead around the perimeter.

12: Install the VC, Mine was a PITA to get back into place.
    Make sure you do not knock the gasket out of place.

13: Torque bolts down. I dont know the exact specs, I just made sure they where tight.

14: You are done! Take it for a ride.

What year is this done on? Looking at the front ccv port, looks different than what mine does. Mine is an 87. If you know what was the part number for the rubber grommet and elbow that is in there? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Victor S. View Post
    What year is this done on? Looking at the front ccv port, looks different than what mine does. Mine is an 87. If you know what was the part number for the rubber grommet and elbow that is in there? Thanks
    this has to be around the same year judging from the coolant reservoir
    people say you're paranoid if you carry a gun,if i have the gun what have i got to be paranoid about-Clint Smith

It's Just Nuts and Bolts 89WhiteXJ's Avatar
    That Throttle body is a renix version. I can not remember the years renix jeeps were but its prob one of them. My 89 is Renix. And looking at the user name and info under the user name it says 89. If it the member jeep it may be an 89. We shall see.
    Frankie
    1989 XJ Full Width

Quote Originally Posted by tusk762 View Post
    this has to be around the same year judging from the coolant reservoir
    I know by the looks of the engine compartment it's a Renix era vehicle. What I am referring to is the front ccv port on the valve cover with the rubber hose attached. My grommet is ripped and can not locate the rubber grommet with the elbow attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor S. View Post
    I know by the looks of the engine compartment it's a Renix era vehicle. What I am referring to is the front ccv port on the valve cover with the rubber hose attached. My grommet is ripped and can not locate the rubber grommet with the elbow attached.
    I'll dig up the part number, but I believe NAPA has that part hanging on the "H.E.L.P." display in the front of the store.

"Life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Those who don't take a stand for something, have nothing to celebrate.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if they have the exact one.. but its close enough to work correctly. Our NAPA had it on the emissions part hanger right next to the front door.